Friday, June 14, 2013

International Market

There is a huge international farmer's market not far from our house, the operative word being "huge."  It's been there for quite awhile now and I've never gone inside.  Finally, today I took the plunge.


It's quite something.  The produce section is massive.  There are all the "regular" fruits and veggies you would expect to see:  melons, many varieties of apples, a plethora of citrus fruits, greens, potatoes of every kind.  Take tomatoes, for example.  They had at least a half dozen varieties, including these -- red Romas, green, and orange on the vine.


But then, there were all the exotic fruits and vegetables!  These were some of the melons.  The signs say Hami, Gaya, Canary, and Korean melons.   


Here are some brown and white coconuts.  I've never cracked one open, but I've always heard how hard they are to open.  I think I'll stick to the finished product on this particular item, thanks just the same.  I don't think I have the upper body strength.


How about some sauteed cactus for supper tonight, with a side of mashed yuca?



Besides all the fresh produce, this store had fresh fish and seafood.  Really fresh.




There were tons of organic and gluten-free products, different types of flours and meals, spices, oils, locally grown honey, nuts of every kind ... pretty much anything a recipe might call for.



Then, to satisfy that salty or sweet tooth, there were treats of every imaginable sort.



Yummy seaweed snack, anyone?

I didn't even cover half this store in my first visit.  I bought corn on the cob, a cantaloupe, a small seedless watermelon, some Vidalia onions, and two sweet potatoes (boring, huh?)   I'm looking forward to going again and picking something exotic to try ... maybe one of those melons.  With some sauteed cactus on the side.

More later --

2 comments:

  1. Let us know what exotic food you are going to cook.

    I do wish that I had something like this close to me.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will, Jackie! I'll definitely have to do some research on that first.

      Delete

Please leave me a comment so I know you've been here! Tell me what you think -- I really want to know.