Saturday, May 29, 2010

What I'm reading

So, I figured it was time for another edition of what I've been reading recently. I've been really lucky lately to have found some excellent books that I have thoroughly enjoyed.

Lost and Found: A Novel by Carolyn Parkhurst is a story about a mother and her teenage daughter whose relationship is strained, to put it mildly. They end up as contestants in a reality show game (think "Amazing Race") called Lost and Found, along with six other couples. The book moves along at a good pace, and both mother and daughter learn some things about each other. This is a fast and easy read, and I enjoyed it.

Same Kind of Different as Me by Denver Moore and Ron Hall. This is one of the best books I have ever read, truly! Denver Moore grew up a very poor black sharecropper in Alabama and escaped to a "better life" living on the streets of Ft. Worth, TX. Ron Hall and his wife, Debbie (a very affluent white couple) started volunteering at a homeless shelter in Ft. Worth and she and Ron gradually befriended Denver. The results of their friendship are nothing less than miraculous and amazing. Such an excellent book -- I give it five stars.

The Book Club by Mary Alice Monroe. As my friend Susan commented while reading this book, "Could it get any more real?" This one is about five very different women going through five very different life situations, bound together by their love of a good book and their commitment and membership in The Book Club. This was a really great read, chick lit, yes, and I enjoyed it wholeheartedly.

The Tightwad Gazette by Amy Dacyczyn. Back in the 90s, Amy wrote a monthly newsletter by this same name for about seven years total. This is a compilation of all of those newsletters. Packed with tips and advice on all things frugal, it is a perfect resource for someone trying to save a buck (or a thousand). The layout is such that you can search for what you are interested in, or conversely, pretty much open it up to any page and either learn something you didn't know, or get a great mini-refresher on living a frugal lifestyle.

Miss Julia Renews Her Vows by Ann B. Ross. Can I just say that I love Miss Julia? This is the latest installment in the series about the peppery little church lady who finds family and love in her later years, along with plenty of fun and drama. A cute, fun read.

More later --

2 comments:

  1. Bonjour Patty,
    It is a long time since I visited your blog and I am sorry :o(
    I hope everything is ok for you and your husband.
    I like very much your post about the cute absolutely cute familly ducks.

    Have a nice, sunny Sunday

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bonjour, Helene! I'm so glad to "see" you. I love your "tousled roses" picture; it's one of my favorites. I hope you are doing well, my friend.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a comment so I know you've been here! Tell me what you think -- I really want to know.