Sunday, September 9, 2012

Saturday supper

So, this crazy heat FINALLY broke, and we've had a couple days of beautiful, sunny days with little or no humidity. It's been awesome.

Yesterday I decided to make soup. I love soup, but it's sort of against the law to make soup when it's 95 degrees or more outside. I do believe you can go to jail for that. So ... as soon as the temperature dropped, then I was in soup-making mode.

I had a bowl of leftover roast with gravy/potatoes/onions/carrots in my freezer, just waiting for such an auspicious occasion. So I took it out and popped it into my big heavy dutch oven.

Here's another tidbit of information. I do not know how to make a small pot of soup. Really.

Anyway, the roast makes such a nice base for an easy beef veggie soup. It adds a depth of flavor I just can't get otherwise. From there, it's just a matter of what I happen to have on hand. This time I diced up onion and celery, added a can of corn, a big can of diced tomatoes, a can of pinto beans, frozen peas & carrots, a can of beef broth, minced garlic, a bay leaf, and pepper. I let that simmer on the stove for a few hours. Near the end I added three large spoonfuls of salsa, just to give it a little kick.

Then, just because it's also a requirement when you make beef veggie soup around these parts, I made cornbread in a small cast-iron skillet. Since it was just the two of us, I halved the recipe to just make enough for us. I didn't take a picture of it, but believe me when I say it was a thing of beauty.

Lastly, I decided to make a pan of bar cookies. I love bar cookies, because they are easy to make and package up for lunches or snacks throughout the week. This time I tried a recipe called "Dream Bars." Very nice.

What's been cooking in your kitchen lately?

4 comments:

  1. wish you lived closer, I'd have invited myself over...lol I made a roast this week to. It was still frozen when I put it on. I cooked it in the crockpot over night. The next morning it was falling apart tender and still a little pink in the middle so it wasn't the least bit dry. I cut it in half, wrapped one half tightly in foil and popped into a bowl in the fridge. The other half was for dinner.
    The next day I took out the wrap roast, and since it was cold and wrapped tightly, it sliced wonderfully. I caramelized a couple of onions in my cast iron skillet, once they were golden brown I pulled them out and added the sliced roast, what was left from the night before, all the pan drippings and a little roaster sauce and left it simmer away until it was heated through and shredded with just the tongs. Toasted ciabotta rolls, pilled on the beef, then onions the provolone cheese and popped it under the broiler. Served with a simple salad... to die for. The next day I took the left overs and made beef and bean burritos. It's why I love roasts... so many options.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUMMY! I wish you lived closer, too. I'd invite myself over to YOUR house. Actually, we could take turns. : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Patty, your soup sounded delicious.You are like me, every thing but the kitchen sink goes into my soups. The different ingredients make it all blend together in a super duper taste.
    Your cornbread and bar cookies sounded great with the soup. I remember when we were growing up, soup was not a kid's thing. Now I can't wait to make a pot up at any excuse.!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eileen, it's always a different soup, just depending on what I have to throw in. Enjoy your pot of soup!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a comment so I know you've been here! Tell me what you think -- I really want to know.