Thursday, May 9, 2013

My new full time job

I am continuing to make progress in my recovery from back surgery.  And, it occurred to me this morning while I was out walking that healing well is my new full time job.  I am spending most of my waking hours working toward that goal.  And truth be told, it requires a big commitment.

My one hindrance has been the pain in my right leg.  It started immediately after surgery, and it bothered me the whole time I was in the hospital.  Then, since I have been home it has continued pretty much nonstop, except if I combine a pain pill with a muscle relaxer.  That usually stops the pain, but it also kicks my butt and I can't do anything at all.  I hate feeling medicated!

Also, I continue to have numbness and tingling down both legs.  Once I got out and started walking, it became more pronounced and, frankly, freaked me out and scared me to death.  So, I put in a call to my surgeon's office and talked to them about both of these issues.

As for the numbness and tingling, they explained to me that nerves are very slow to heal.  And my nerves have been impinged upon for a long time due to the spondylolisthesis -- years.  So it's going to take time for them to recover.  It will be a gradual process over a period of several months.

Hearing that greatly relieved my mind, and it sounds perfectly logical to me.  Now, each time I walk, I try to gauge the numbness -- does it start as quickly as it used to?  Is it as bad as it used to be?  I think the answer to both of those questions is no.  Wishful thinking?  Maybe.  But I prefer to call it Hopeful Thinking.  Every time I walk, I try to visualize the back fusing together properly, and all the nerves and joints and muscles and vertebrae healing together perfectly.  It is very, very important to me to keep a positive attitude and spirit.

As for the pain in my leg, the nurse practitioner told me she suspected that nerve root got aggravated during the surgery.  She called in a one-week steroid dose pack which will hopefully calm that nerve and give me some relief.  I started them last night and so far, can't tell any difference.  So I hope it will kick in soon!

Before I sign off for today, let me show you a few more pretty pictures I took with my phone camera during my neighborhood walks the past couple days.  I love the flowers!

More later --

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment so I know you've been here! Tell me what you think -- I really want to know.