Friday, May 31, 2013

This and that

Our a/c unit has been on the fritz since Tuesday afternoon.  The part had to be ordered (of course).  Anyway, the repairman came back this morning with the part and fixed it.  It is a lovely 72 degrees in my den as I sit here, lights ablazing, as I type.  Is "ablazing" a word?  I had kept the blinds and curtains tightly closed and all the lights off to try to keep it as cool as possible in here.  Now I can actually SEE what I'm typing.  Always a plus.

*        *        *

I'm just finishing up an Ann Rule book called Dead By Sunset - Perfect Husband, Perfect Killer?  She does true crime stuff better than almost anyone, and this has been her typical, comprehensive, leave-no-stone-unturned story of a murderer, his victims, and the people who brought him to justice.  This book has been sitting on my bookshelf for years, just waiting for me to pick it up.  And I'm glad I did.  Good stuff.

*        *        *

It has been so muggy.  I know, I know ... I live in Memphis and it is, after all, nearly June.  But still ... I hate it.  I have had to resort to walking on my treadmill instead of outside, which takes a distant second in my book.  I would so much rather THIS be my view than whatever's on the television.



I got up very early yesterday morning, thinking it would be much cooler and easier to walk, and I was out the door before 7:00 a.m.  The temperature was only 75, which I thought was quite doable.  What I did not check was the humidity, which was at 74%.  I walked a little over a mile and, honestly, thought about calling myself a taxi to pick me up and take me home.  I just can't breathe in that kind of humidity and heat.  It's no better today, so I just finished a mile on the treadmill.  You gotta do what you gotta do, right?

 *        *        *

I've been noticing, and photographing, mailboxes in our neighborhood.  Ours is sort of nondescript, made from the same brick as the house.  I would like to plant something to climb one side of it and give it some pizzazz,  Or, if not pizzazz, at least some interest. 

This one has a baby something planted, and a cute little trellis for it to climb on.  I'll have to check back later in the summer and see if the mystery plant has grown much.



This one has quite a bit going on, maybe a bit too much.


I know this is a light pole and not a mailbox, but the clematis is beautiful just the same.


This one has nothing planted, but isn't the little hole for the newspaper cute?  We need one of those.


This one is actually a little frightening.  Can you even see the mailbox?  There, in the middle! Sure hope their mail carrier is not allergic to honeysuckle.  Although it does smell divine walking past it.  


Anyway, the jury is still out on what we might do to dress our mailbox up. 

More later --



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment so I know you've been here! Tell me what you think -- I really want to know.