Friday, April 13, 2012

What I've been reading lately

One advantage of being off work is that I've had more time to read. So I thought I'd share what I've been reading lately.

Soul Catcher by Michael C. White -- this book takes place in the mid-1800s, not long before the Civil War. It's about a slave catcher named Cain and his metamorphosis during the capture and return of an amazing slave woman named Rosetta. My sister gave me this book during a recent visit, and I really enjoyed it. The author takes his time in developing the characters, and I was able to get a real sense of who they were. It's really worth your time to read.

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins -- my friend Craig recommended that I see the movie but first read the book, and I'm glad I did. It's definitely young adult fiction, but I think a part of me is still 15 years old, and I really enjoyed it. I generally like books in a post-apocalyptic setting, because they really feed my imagination, and I find myself wondering about the characters and situations even after I finish the books. I had this same sort of reaction when I read The Road. Anyway, I'm definitely going to read books 2 and 3, since I want to know how this intriguing story ends.

Fast Times in Palestine by Pamela Olsen -- this book really challenged my limited point of view of the Israeli/Palestinian conflict. I know there are two sides to every story, and it was eye-opening and really interesting to read this book. If you want a book that will make you think, this is a good one.

A Big Little Life by Dean Koontz -- one of those books that just makes you feel good, this is the true story of the Koontzes' beloved dog, Trixie. It made me laugh and cry -- which is always a mark of a good book in my humble opinion. Another wonderful "dog book" I highly recommend -- completely different, but evoking a similar reaction from me -- is The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein. Oh. My... Such a good book.

A Stolen Life by Jaycee Dugard -- this is the true story of Jaycee's long ordeal of being kidnapped as a child and then being raised (and I use that term loosely) by her kidnappers. This is a story of triumph over evil and, at long last, deliverance. I could not put this book down.

Speaking of another book I truly could not put down, The Long Walk by Slawomir Rawicz, is probably one of the top three books I've ever read. This reads like a masterful piece of fiction, yet it is true. It's the true story of the WWII escape of prisoners from a Siberian gulog, and their 4,000+ mile walk (WALK!) to freedom. This is an incredible story of survival.

There are oh, so many more, but I'll stop with these. Tell me ... what have YOU been reading lately?

2 comments:

  1. Fast Times In Palestine sounds interesting. I read a book written by a woman married to one of Arafat's right hand men. Very interesting perspective on how she was treated post divorce.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That DOES sound interesting, Audrey. I always enjoy reading about other cultures.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a comment so I know you've been here! Tell me what you think -- I really want to know.